Monday, August 27, 2012

Customer Service Jobs - Companies still do not understand!


A key component of customer loyalty is how a company handles complaints. I have a new example to illustrate! I bought a top of the range, double memory foam mattress six months ago and already has a lump in the middle. It has a 15 year guarantee on it so I called customer service. They are the sending of a third party to determine if there is a defect that is fine.

The customer service representative informed me also that if the mattress is defective and must be replaced, there is a cost of $ 50 that I pay for them to deliver again and remove the faulty one. I told her I did not sense that I would have to pay a delivery fee for their bad mattress. She calmly and politely informed me that in the small print of the contract I signed, it clearly states that I was responsible for these costs if the mattress was defective. I have not checked the fine print, but I'm sure there is.

I'm not sure what happened at their meetings the design process of customer service (if any were), but they were obviously looking at the process from an internal short-term, the financial point of view. The cost to deliver the goods had to be transferred to the consumer ... for their fault!

Although this may satisfy short-term financial metrics, fails miserably in the long run, the most critical metrics, customer satisfaction. I think there is a simple solution that satisfies both metrics. They could deliver the new mattress replacement free of charge (what a concept!).

This satisfies the customer that is upset by the fact that the product was defective but at least the company stands by their product and makes the substitution of positive an experience as possible.

From a financial standpoint, a financial analyst can determine the failure rate mattress (for simplicity, we say that a defect for every 50 sold). If the average cost of delivery is $ 50/replacement, so that costs could be spread over every 50 mattresses sold with the addition of a dollar for every initial delivery or adding a dollar to the sales price. The customer, at the time of sale, could care less if the delivery fee is $ 20 or $ 21 or if the sale price goes up one dollar. It would clear them.

The end result is a satisfied customer who would consider buying from the shop again the same and the cost of delivery is covered indirectly. The result of their current process is that I will never buy another mattress from them.

They will not be able to measure directly, but that will be shown in future sales as there will be less repeat business in the long term. I know this sounds simple, but I'm always amazed at how many companies do not understand customer service and satisfaction.

Some companies just do not understand and who will pay dear in the long run! ......

No comments:

Post a Comment