Tuesday, August 14, 2012

'Mes Amis,' I Hand It To You!


Mes amis, my friends - I was able to deliver to you: you have a hell of a good team!

Soccer is not only a wonderful game that unites millions of fans around the world, is also a modern symbol of solidarity because of its diversity - regardless of faith, skin color, political commitments and affiliations. People are carried away by this beautiful and exciting spectacle. It is in this spirit that I am writing these few lines, still fresh from the tumultuous emotion and strain of seeing Italy play a formidable opponent like France - and win.

France has not my devotion - that stays with Italy. But Les Bleus have my deep respect, and that of many Italian fans. I do not know if that is the Cup, but it's got to be worth something. France played superbly in both the first and second half. Italy has played superbly well only for the first forty-five minutes and then, of course, on penalties. But in the second half really put us in a mess. How we won is probably a question that should be asked of those who turn the wheel of fate in this world. Of course, no human being can answer this question.

But we won.

That highlights a fact - and calcium, of course - that is, being better and winning is not necessarily go hand in hand. I'm not trying to put down Italians here. How could I? Eventually they made a perfect match and scored five goals on penalties, while the French did not. I'm talking about, however, about the quality of game play. Strategy, speed, attack and the team balance ... these are the qualities that distinguish Les Bleus and the Azzurri which seemed to be a bit 'scarce. Of course, France could have a more precise aim their shots, and Buffon - our goalkeeper - is better than Bastien, by far. But looking at Henry, Zizou, Makelele and Ribery will come after us every two minutes it was not fun - trust me!

If there is one thing that France be underestimated or forgotten, however, is the fact that the Blues have seven lives, just like cats. They never die. What, ultimately, may be the only explanation for why they prevailed.

And what about Zidane, the famous Zidane, who chose to head to head Materazzi? Well, I can certainly say here and now for the record that I would not meet Zizou in a street at night, that's for sure. This is what happens when there are two billion eyes that belong to a billion viewers around the world, scrutinizing every move you make. I am not speaking from experience here - I do not think two people (the equivalent of four eyes, so to speak) have never worried about what I do in a given time, let alone a billion. But I am saying that the pressure is manifested in different ways for different people.

Zizou turned upside down. And he directed his anger against the man who had drawn: Materazzi. After all was Zidane's last game, the culmination of a career that places him at the same level, height and majesty of Pele '. The victory was at hand and Materazzi was the man who had taken away from him. A human reaction, not a plausible or justifiable, but human. Considering also that it is unlikely that Zidane would have changed the score during the game. He had tried twice and failed, and ran out of steam. An act of desperation in the heat of battle, something that no man should be crucified for.

Bottom line, and this is my personal message to all my French colleagues ... France should be proud of their team. Chirac is right: we should celebrate Les Bleus when they return to Paris, as they have earned the respect of not only French but also Italian. Best French player? For me, Henry, even better than Zidane.

The Cup remains in Italy, fair enough. But the glory is with you.

Vive la France. Viva l 'Italy.

Luigi Frascati...

No comments:

Post a Comment